Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Blog Tour! Sonnets in Waking Moments by Joszann St. John

Today, we are excited to be part of a blog tour for this wonderful new novel by Joszann St. John. It's a story that packs a powerful punch and written by a fabulous author. Here is the cover and the synopsis: 

The onset of the Great Depression beginning in 1929 and the subsequent World War Two was a period fraught by turmoil and uncertainty. On the world stage different political ideologies vied for dominance while the devastated world economy needed a permanent solution. It is against this backdrop of instability and crisis that Sonnets in Waking Moments unfold. Set in Canada and New York City, Sonnets in Waking Moments recounts the challenges of living and loving during the Great Depression. From Toronto’s Junction neighborhood to a convent in New York City, the characters are larger than life. Their individual stories create many memorable and inspiring moments. The novel captures the essence of social relationships and the culture that would eventually shape the years following the preceding decade. Defining moments include the first royal visit in 1938 by a reigning monarch to Canada and the lasting legacy of a rich and vibrant immigrant heritage as seen in the Irish history of New York City. Join Anna Agnelli, Ralph, Viola, Frank, and other personalities as they journey through the turbulent decades of the 1930s and 1940s in Sonnets in Waking Moments.

I hope you enjoy the following excerpt and post by Joszann St. John. I know I enjoyed reading it. 

Thank you Mirella Patzer of HistoricalNovelReview.com for hosting me on this virtual book tour celebration for Sonnets in Waking Moments.

In this post I share an excerpt of the book. This is an adolescent Viola Agnelli’s letter, to her mother Anna Agnelli; updating her about the happenings in her life, since she last visited her mother in Toronto. World War Two is in progress. Anna is at an eatery in Toronto, when she reads the letter she received earlier that day.

Viola’s Letter

Dear mother, please forgive my late response. I have been meaning to write but it has been an emotional couple of months for me. Mother Agnes has me busy all day. Some days, I just barely make it to bed before I’m out like a light. My days are chock full with teaching and serving in the community. I helped a parishioner deliver her baby the other day; she gave me directions the whole time while pain racked her body. She eventually gave birth to a lovely little girl. The child’s name is Aileen. It means the noble one. Another little girl has just arrived at the convent to live with us also. From the moment Angelina wakes up, she follows me around. Quite cute she is. I heard the bells tolling today in the cathedral, and it reminded me of wedding bells. So many thoughts are rolling around in my head. I’ve matured a lot in the last couple of months. I think I would like to get married sometime. Anyways, I know my leaving came as quite a shock, but I’ll make it up to you. I promise mother. I just need to be by myself for a while, to sort things out in my mind. I thought I was ready to be out in the world, but its best I remain in the convent for now. We have been keeping abreast with news of the war. I read the newspapers every day. Mother Agnes says the war should be over soon. I will drop this of tomorrow. I don’t know when I’ll be home again. You can expect another letter soon. How are the Ackerlys’ treating you, mom? Did Mark give you that painting of me? I often wonder how it turned out. xoxoxo
Sincerely, your daughter
Viola Agnelli.


This excerpt is presented as part of a virtual book tour celebrating my book Sonnets in Waking Moments. Enjoy the celebration by following me on the tour to fifteen (15) blogs in honour of Sonnets. Access the virtual book tour schedule and a link to the book on Amazon, below. Thank you and enjoy!

Joszann St. John writes across many genres and has published multiple titles. Her newest novel, Sonnets in Waking Moments is a women’s fiction story about life during The Great Depression.

Visit her blog and check out the full schedule for the virtual book tour celebrating this historical fiction love storyFollow the heroine Anna Agnelli, an Italian immigrant to Canada during the 1900’s and her daughter Viola. Other major characters include Ralph, Frank, Jimmy, Louise and Mark Ackerly.

A new and unique voice, Joszann is dedicated to inspiring and empowering others through her extensive body of work. She credits faith as the major influence in overcoming some of her previous challenges. She is the mother of two beautiful children whom she considers wonderful motivators in her life.