Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Waking Storm's Winter

Waking Storm's Winter by Kathryn Adams
Reviewed by Ginger Simpson

Many people judge a book by the cover, but for me, a great book is one you can't put down, and this was the case for me in Waking Storm's Winter.  Author, Kathryn Adams has captured the essence of a
pioneer woman's courage when her husband passes and she's left alone to face the long Colorado winter on her own while maintaining standards required to secure the land the duo homesteaded. 

I've always admired the strength of women who lived and thrived in the old west, and in this wonderfully written historical novel, Storm becomes my new role model: a woman filled with determination and eventually faced with the task of tracking down the very stranger she took into her home and nursed back to health after he's shown his true colors.

 As a reader, you'll feel the fierceness of a Colorado blizzard, sense the bone-chilling draft drifting through the wooden floors, and get a true peek into the life of an exceptional woman from the 1800s who totes water, cuts woods, feeds the animals, cleans the barn, and does all the chores normally the responsibility of the wife.  All the while she mourns the loss of the love of her life.

Although truly named Mary Elizabeth, her siblings referred to her as the "Storm Child," hence her nickname.  I must say, the name is a perfect fit, and I promise you'll be yanked right into this amazing story that combines history, reality, and the mystery of what Storm has that the stranger wants.   

I received this book today and was hooked from the first paragraph.  Ms. Adams has a new fan, and I can't wait to read more of her work.  Luckily, this is Book One in the Colorado Storm Series, so I eagerly await the next installment.

Waking Storm's Winter is published by Humbles Church Road Media and available on Amazon.  I highly recommend this book, and with so many good reads available these days, I don't make my recommendations lightly.